Having a website isn’t just the fun experiment nerds do to pass time nor is it the complex process big corporate machines do to get even richer. Anyone can just start their own through a hundred online services, and they can make money without even selling a single product.
There is a multitude of ways to do this, such as freelancing and affiliate marketing. One of the most popular ways is through Google’s advertising program called AdSense.
How to use Google Adsense
Google AdSense basically puts relevant advertisement on a website, and the owner of the site gets a certain amount of money for every click on the ad from a visitor. Google can pay as much as $10 per click.
Using AdSense has the potential to be a very lucrative online business. Fortunately, it also isn’t very complicated. The only requirement is, of course, a website. Make no mistake, it has to be a legitimate website with content, and not something propped up just to make money.
The procedure itself is as follows:
1. Register at www.google.com/adsense. Google will ask for your website’s URL and language, your name, address and telephone number. Google will also check your website to see if it complies with their policy.
2. Once you’ve registered, you need to activate your AdSense account through the email notification Google will send to the email address you provided.
3. Sign in to your account. Click on the My Ads tab. Here you will be getting the HTML codes that will place the ads on your website.
4. Click the New Ad Unit button to start creating ad units for your website. On this window, you can type the name of the ad for easy management, and you can select the size, type and style of the ad unit you’ll be creating. You can choose from text, image, or both types of ads to show on your site. You can also select the font family and size for text ads.
The Backup Ads option lets you choose how the ads will show when there are no available targeted ads from Google.
5. After you’ve selected the appropriate format for you ad, just click the “Save and get code” button. A window will pop up saying the ad has been successfully created. All you have to do now is copy the entire code.
6. Back on your website, open up the source code window. If you created your own, you should know where that is exactly. If you used blogging services, refer to their help section to locate the source code.
7. Simply paste the HTML code you copied from the AdSense program into the source code of whatever page you want the ad to appear.
If you’re not familiar with HTML, look for the opening or closing tags. For instance, the opening tagfor headers appears as <h>, while the closing tag appears as </h>.
Leave a space before opening tags or after closing tags, and paste the source code there. Better to place the ad either at the very top of the source code or at the very bottom, so it doesn’t break up the content.
And that’s it! It will only take a short while for your website to start showing the ad. Just repeat step four, if you want to create a new ad.
Using AdSense does not mean an influx of money overnight. The website still needs to generate traffic for viewers to see and click on the ads. If you wish to make money online, using AdSense is one of the many ventures you can embark on.