Let me start by clarifying that I value the work of professionals who are experienced in logo creation. When it’s time to take your blog or your business to the next level, an innovative logo is definitely key. A clever logo separates the pros from the newbies.
But there are times when you just can’t wait until you can afford to pay a professional. That’s when you’ve got to step up and do it yourself.
If you’ve got at least a small portion of creativity, there’s no reason why you can’t create a quick and simple logo to get you started.
Keep in mind that a logo should be a “logical” representation of your blog or business. In other words, it should make sense and shouldn’t distract people – you don’t want them pausing to think: What in the world does that have to do with xyz?
Instead, you want to create something that’s memorable and quickly let’s people know that they are in the right place. Powerful logos can function without text. Think about the McDonald’s arches and the fact that most two-year-olds can identify the restaurant miles away. They can’t read, but they know those arches!
So some things to consider when creating your logo:
- Make it memorable
- Use your current color scheme, or choose a new one that you can stick with for a while
- Use images that logically represent your blog’s topic or your business.
- Use bold fonts – pick a font and stick with it.
- Keep it simple – no more than one symbol; no more than 3 colors; minimal text
- A logo can be as simple as text when a well-defined font and color is chosen.
Creating a logo yourself doesn’t have to be a daunting task, there are online logo creators everywhere you look, but not all of them will give you access to all of the tools for free. You may even have to pay when it comes time to download the finished product.
Recently, I discovered a tool that lets you have access to all of the available tools and it’s also free to download.
It’s called Free Logo Maker, and here are some of the features that are available free of charge:
- Create logos with transparent backgrounds (or you may choose a color)
- Add text with various fonts and colors
- Use hex codes to add custom colors
- Choose from the site’s bank of symbols
- Easily alter the colors of various parts of the available symbols
- If you don’t like the available symbols, you can upload your own image
- Easily rotate and move objects around
- Add drop shadows
- You can save your progress
- Download your logo as a .PNG when you’re done
I took the logo creator for a spin. I’ve been wanting to move beyond the text based logo you see in the header. I found that the tool was very easy to use and has given me some new ideas for what I’d like to do.
I liked that I was able to quickly download the file without having to jump through any hoops. The only downsides that I anticipate others might want to see improved: I wish the online program had more text fonts (or a way to upload custom fonts), more symbols, and that the online tool access link was located in a more intuitive place on the site instead of at the bottom.
Beyond that, I still think it will do a great job when you need to create a logo in a pinch.